Saturday, November 10, 2007

Delicacies from Naples

By Puntino

There are a few sweets in the world which are as delicious as the Neapolitan ones. When you come here, of course, you
would like to taste the Neapolitan delicacies and fortunately there is a large variety of sweets to eat, some of them belong to the ancient Neapolitan pastry market like Baba.
Baba is very soft and tasty with its gold color and belly shape it is the king of the sweets and when you give it the first bite, little rum drops will wet your tongue.


Baba is also a home made sweet, as well, its recipe is very easy to put in action and all the ingredients are natural, indeed you need flour, baking powder, eggs, butter, sugar and rum (for cooking) to make it.
It's good to eat after either lunch or dinner or you can eat it during a relaxing walk in the historical centre of Naples.
It is said that the Polish King Stanislao Leszczynsky, who was a gastronome, wet a "kugelop", an originally Austrian sweet, with rum and he named it Ali Baba in honor of his favorite reading The Arabian Nights.
The Neapolitan version of Baba came at the end of the '700 and it was reviewed by applying some changes.

Where can you buy it ? is it expensive ?
You can find it at bars or pasty stores. In Naples every bar sells it and with about 1.50€ you will take a great pleasure in eating it. I honestly suggest to you to eat a Baba made by the old pastry store Scaturchio
Trust me it's worth eating!

PS
Baba because of his sweetness is also a word used in Neapolitan lingo, it's common to say:
Si doce comm' nu Baba (You are sweet like a Baba)

Thank Zsòfia for her corrections

2 comments:

TopGun said...

As soon as possible I wanna write an arcticle about Pizza or Sfogliata...I'm more expert of the first one :p


See you Puntino. good Job ;)

Puntino said...

Hi Top,

My telephone line was out of order...
but now I'm here again!
Do you like my post about Baba?

Why this Blog?

"I opened this Blog,
the English version of Aviatore Sopra Il Mare,

to improve my English writing skills according with my friend Puntino.
Now he has his own Blog but the target remain the same.
Improve my English."

TopGun